Profile of the electoral division of Hughes (NSW)
Updated: 19 November 2019
- New South Wales
- Date this name and boundary was gazetted:
- 25 February 2016
- First election this name was used at:
- 1955 federal election
- First election this boundary was used at:
- 2016 federal election
- Maps of Division
- Name derivation:
- Named in honour of the Rt Hon. William Morris Hughes CH KC, 1862–1952. Hughes was the Prime Minister of Australia (1915–23) and a Member of the House of Representatives (1901–52).
- 369 sq km
- Location Description:
- Hughes is bound by Georges River, Newbridge Road and Davy Robinson Drive in the north, Liverpool City Council and Sutherland Shire Council in the west and south, follows Georges River, Oyster Bay, Kareela Golf Course, Box Road, Princes Highway, Kingsway, Hotham Road, North West Arm Road, Dent Creek and the Hacking River in the east. The main suburbs include Alfords Point, Bangor, Barden Ridge, Bundeena, Como, Engadine, Grays Point, Heathcote, Illawong, Kareela, Kirrawee, Lucas Heights, Maianbar, Menai, Moorebank, Sandy Point, Sutherland (part), Waterfall and Wattle Grove.
This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
- Demographic rating:
- Outer Metropolitan – situated in capital cities and containing large areas of recent suburban expansion.
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Previous members:
- Former members for an electoral division of this name can be found by searching ‘Electoral divisions’ or ‘Members of the House of Representatives since 1901’ in the historical information section of the Parliamentary Handbook
- AEC contact:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Further information: