Frequently asked questions


To apply for work at a federal event, you must register your interest to work with us by submitting a Registration of Interest (ROI). This is a two-step process. First, you must visit AEC Employment and create an account with us. Then, log in, complete your ROI and submit it.

No. If you have previously registered to work for any federal event, you do not need to register again. Log in to your account to update your details.

Please log in, update your details to keep your profile as active and up to date as possible. If you are having any issues updating any details, please call us on 13 23 26 and ask for help with your AEC employment account.

If you can’t login, and you’ve forgotten both your user ID and password, then first try using the Forgot User ID. If you need help, call 13 23 26.

This process takes about 20 minutes.

To be eligible to work with us, you must be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • politically neutral and issue neutral. To learn what it means to be politically neutral and issue neutral, click here to read more.

Yes. The AEC is committed to strengthening the inclusive culture in the workplace culture, one where everyone feels included, valued and respected.

The AEC focus is to provide employment to individuals with suitable skill sets within their local community. Please let us know in your ROI if you are a First Nations person, from a cultural or linguistic background, a person with a disability, and/or LGBTQIA+.

Yes. If you speak or write a language/s other than English, you might be able to use these skills to help voters on voting day. The AEC is increasing support at polling places that service large First Nations communities and locations with a high multicultural population. When you register online, please tell us about your language skills in the ‘Language’ section by selecting the language/s you write or speak.

No. You don’t need to upload your CV/Resume. There is a section in the ROI where you tell us about your work experience and skills.

  • Your personal details which includes name/DOB/address and contact information,
  • a summary of your experience and skills,
  • what days and hours you are available to work,
  • where you would like to work,
  • what jobs you would like to work in,
  • contact information,
  • consent to undergo a police check if required,
  • referee and emergency contact information.

It’s important that you provide all the information requested in the registration of interest. At this stage, the AEC does not know when the voting day will be so we will need to employ people at short notice. Having this information upfront helps speed up the process for you and for us.

Before you start, read about the jobs to see what roles might be suitable for you.

To have the best chance to be placed in a role, we encourage you to provide all your information upfront, this includes letting us know if you:

  • speak or write a language other than English,
  • currently hold your first aid and/or CPR certificate,
  • have 4WD training,
  • are willing to travel.

The registration process asks where you live and what locations, you would be willing to work at near where you live. Yet, if the referendum voting day ends up being on a day when you’re travelling or are thinking of travelling you may still be able to work for us. This is becuase we have roles across Australia, and we may be able to factor your travel plans into a short-term job. Let us know in your registration by selecting the locations; either a post code, suburb or electoral division that you’re willing to work in. If this option works out, you will be responsible for paying all your own travel and accomodation costs.

Once you have submitted your ROI, the AEC will assess your suitability to work with us. If a suitable opportunity becomes available, your local AEC office will get in touch with you in the lead up to the federal event. Your ROI remains active for all upcoming federal events.

No. Registering your interest does not in any way guarantee that the AEC will consider you for or offer you employment. When you register your interest to work at an electoral event, it means that you are happy for the AEC to contact you in the lead up to a federal election, by-election, or referendum, if there’s a suitable job.

Yes. At any time, you can log in to your account and cancel your registration. Once you have cancelled your account, the AEC will not contact you in the lead up to an electoral event.

No. You only need to submit a ROI once to be considered for upcoming federal events. However, you should make sure that you keep your information up to date. For example, if you change your phone number or move to a different address, make sure to log in and enter the new information.

If you are having any trouble with this process, you can:

  • visit your local AEC office.
  • call us on 13 23 26.


If you are offered a job to work with us, you will be a team member of the Temporary Election Workforce (TEW).  Your employment terms and conditions are outlined in the Collective Determination.

If you are offered a job to work with us, your employment start and end dates will be listed on your Offer of Casual Employment letter.

On voting day

Most work on voting day is between 7:00am and finishes no later than 11pm.  The length of the shift during these hours may vary depending on which position you are working in. Some shifts start in the afternoon.

Before or after voting day

Most staff who work before or after voting day are required to start at 7:00am and finish no later than 8:00pm, Monday to Friday. The length of the shift during these hours may vary depending on which position you are working in.

The minimum shift length that the AEC guarantees during an event is:

  • 1 hour for a day on which the employee is required to undertake training; or
  • 3 hours on any day where the employee is otherwise directed to perform duties.

Yes. When you complete your ROI, you’re encouraged to include the top ten locations you would like to work in (postcode/suburb/electoral division).

If you are unsure of your electoral division, visit our electoral division profile page.

Yes. You must be over the age of 18 to work on voting day.  

Yes.  If the law of your State or Territory allows people from your age to work. There are temporary assistant level 1 jobs available before or after voting day that support the officer in charge. You will not be allowed to administer voting or be involved in the counting or unfolding of ballot papers.

It is important you check from what age you are allowed to work in your State or Territory, as those laws will be followed.

Use the “Other information” section in your ROI to let us know what is required. The AEC may contact you to discuss your requirements further.

No. The AEC does not provide food, or drinks, you will need to bring your own.

You might not be close to a shop or somewhere else to buy food, so please ensure you bring enough for the whole time you’ll be working.

The AEC recommends wearing neat and comfortable clothing and shoes.  Please exercise your common sense and wear practical and non-offensive clothing. Some examples of impractical and inappropriate clothing include, singlets, thongs, or any clothing with offensive or political images or messages, and/or badges.

Yes. However, images, artwork or materials supporting political views or positions on the referendum or political issues are not permitted.

If you are unable to come to work for any reason, please contact your Divisional office using the contact information listed at the bottom of your Offer of Casual Employment letter as soon as possible.

If you don’t have this contact information, please call us on 13 23 26 as soon as possible.

Yes. We actively encourage public servants to get involved.


Yes. Every position requires some form of training. This may include:

  • Online training that you can complete at home.
  • Instructional training that you attend face-to-face with others.
  • Morning briefs that you may attend at the start of your shift.

Yes. You will be paid for the training you do.

No. Once you accept your Offer of Casual Employment, you will receive information about what training you need to complete, as well as how and when you need to complete it.


Depending on the position you work in, you will be paid either:

  • An hourly rate: this is money paid for each hour of work and training completed. If you are working an hourly rate position, you can expect to be paid by electronic funds transfer to your nominated bank account before the start of the next pay week. Pay weeks start on Thursday and end on Wednesdays.


  • A remuneration package: this is a set amount of money that is paid according to your position. It covers all your training, hours worked and allowances. You can expect to be paid by electronic funds transfer to your nominated bank account within three weeks following voting day.

If you wish to see which positions earn an hourly rate or remuneration package, read ‘Part C’ and ‘Part D’ of the Collective Determination.

If you are working in a position paid an hourly rate, you will need to complete a timesheet for each day you work.

If you are working in a position that pays a remuneration package, you will need to sign an attendance record when you work.

Employees are eligible to receive overtime rate in certain circumstances.

For more information on these circumstances, read the ‘Overtime’ section of the Collective Determination.

For advice on how payments for temporary work may affect any government benefits you receive, please contact Services Australia - Centrelink.

You are required to pay tax on most incomes you earn. How much depends on your income and circumstances. Upon accepting an offer of employment with the AEC, you will be required to complete a tax declaration form, and this will be used to calculate the amount of tax that will be withheld from your pay.

For further information on tax, please visit or speak to a financial advisor.

Yes. Superannuation is calculated on gross ordinary time earnings for each calendar month. Superannuation is not payable on overtime and allowances.

Superannuation funds are deposited fortnightly for government superannuation funds and monthly for all other superannuation funds.

For more information on superannuation, please review the ATO’s superannuation information page.

If your SMSF is compliant, then the AEC can pay your superannuation contributions into your fund.

If you are sent an offer of employment, you may need to complete a Superannuation Choice Form (SCF) with your fund details for the AEC to process your superannuation contributions into your SMSF.

Yes, you can still work with us if you are a pensioner. However, to accept an offer of employment with us, you must nominate a complying superannuation fund.

If you don’t have an existing membership with a superannuation fund, you can elect the AEC’s default fund, AustralianSuper. The AEC will process your superannuation funds to AustralianSuper where a membership account will be set up on your behalf. AustralianSuper will contact you with a welcome pack along with the full details of your membership.

Please note that the AEC is not liable for the performance of its employees’ superannuation funds, or fees relating to the commencement, transferring or closure of accounts.

If you wish to seek further information in relation to the AEC’s default superannuation fund, please contact AustralianSuper on 1300 300 273.

Hygiene Measures

The AEC has precautionary measures in place to help protect voters and staff, including:

  • Training in COVID-19 safety measures is provided to all staff and reinforced in their daily role.
  • Physical distancing of 1.5 metres is encouraged, where possible.
  • Hand sanitiser will be available for everyone to use at all sites.
  • Mask wearing is strongly recommended.
  • Staff are encouraged to stay at home if they have symptoms or have tested positive to COVID-19.
  • If a staff member is required in their role to visit a hospital, aged care facility, prison facility or community facility, it is essential to comply with their COVID-19 safety requirements which may include mask wearing, vaccination requirements, Rapid Antigen Test, and non-attendance if the staff member was COVID-19 positive or a close contact.

The AEC strongly encourages all staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza.

All mobile polling staff are required to comply with entry requirements of establishments and remote communities – this may include COVID-19 vaccination, and/or conducting a Rapid Antigen Test. All staff entering residential aged care facilities also require a 2023 influenza vaccination.

Updated: 1 February 2024