The electoral division is jointly named in honour of:
Colonel William Paterson, 1755–1810. Paterson was a solider and botanist who served as Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony of New South Wales (1794–95, 1800–1808 and 1809). The town and river are named after Paterson, and
Andrew Barton 'Banjo' Paterson CBE, 1864–1941. Paterson was a journalist, war correspondent and poet whose many works include 'The Man from Snowy River'.
1 123 sq km
Paterson extends from Neath, Kurri Kurri and Williamtown in the south, along the Hunter River and Port Stephens in the north and along the Hunter Expressway to the west. The main towns include Kurri Kurri, Maitland, Medowie, Neath, Nelson Bay, Raymond Terrace and Williamtown. This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
Provincial – outside capital cities, but with a majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
Former members for an electoral division of this name can be found by searching ‘Electoral divisions’ or ‘Members of the House of Representatives since 1901’ in the historical information section of the Parliamentary Handbook
The AEC acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters, culture and community. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.