Named in honour of Major-General Lachlan Macquarie, 1761–1824. Macquarie was Governor of the Colony of New South Wales (1810–21). The area covered by the electoral division when it was first established in 1901 was also known as the Macquarie district.
4 374 sq km
Macquarie covers an area from the Hawkesbury and Nepean Rivers in the east, the City Councils of Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury border in the west. The Wollemi and Yengo National Parks form the northern border and the Coxs River, Lake Burragorang and Warragamba River form the southern border. Suburbs and towns include: Bilpin, Blackheath, Central Macdonald, Faulconbridge, Glenbrook, Katoomba, Lower Portland (part), Mellong, Mogo Creek, Mount Victoria, Mount Wilson, Richmond, Sackville (part), St. Albans and Windsor. This description reflects local government areas in existence in 2015.
Provincial – outside capital cities, but with a majority of enrolment in major provincial cities.
Former members for an electoral division of this name can be found by searching ‘Electoral divisions’ or ‘Members of the House of Representatives since 1901’ in the historical information section of the Parliamentary Handbook
The AEC acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters, culture and community. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.