2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Wide Bay (Qld)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- Current, boundary gazetted 15 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Wide Bay (2009) [PDF 427KB]
Map of the Division of Wide Bay (2009) [PDF 2MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after the district which takes its name from the bay sighted by Captain Cook on 18 May 1770.
- Area and Location Description:
- Wide Bay covers an area of approximately 14 573 sq km from Weyba Downs and Peregian Beach in the SE; from Fraser Island in the NE; from Booubyjan in the NW to the township of Cherbourg in the SW and Bella Creek in the south. Major population centres are Maryborough, Noosa Heads and Gympie. The World Heritage listed Fraser Island (the world's largest sand island) is located in the Division.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Eco-tourism (Fraser Island), historical attractions (Maryborough), natural attractions (Cooloola Coast) timber, dairying, grain, grazing, sugar, tropical fruit orchards, and railway rolling stock (including Queensland's 'tilt' trains).
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Truss, W (LNQ) 1990–
Millar, P C (CP/NCP/NP) 1974–1990
Hansen, B P (ALP) 1961–1974
Bandidt, H N C (CP) 1958–1961
Brand, W A (CP) 1954–1958
Corser, B H (CP) 1928–1954
Corser, E B C (LIB/NAT) 1915–1928
Fisher, A (ALP) 1901–1915
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Wide Bay
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Wide Bay
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Wide Bay
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.