New South Wales
Named after Andrew 'Banjo' Paterson 1864–1941, Australian author and poet. There is also conjecture that the division was first named in 1947 after Colonel William Paterson 1755–1810 after whom the town and river within the division were named.
Paterson covers an area of approximately 9 632 sq km and extends from the Hunter River in the south to the boundary of Greater Taree in the north and west to the Great Dividing Range. The main towns include Beresfield, Bulahdelah, Dungog, Forster, Gloucester, Hawks Nest, Morpeth, Nabiac, Nelson Bay, Paterson, Raymond Terrace, Stroud, Thornton, Tuncurry and Woodberry.
Timber, beef and dairy cattle, mixed farming, maize, sawmilling, fishing and oyster farming, tourism, general engineering, aluminium smelting.
1947/1949 (Division was abolished in 1984 and re-established at the 1992 redistribution.)
See the Parliament of Australia website
See Divisional Office Contact Details
For supporting information, see Party Codes, Demographic Ratings and Seat Status.