Electors unable to sign their name due to physical incapacity

Updated: 27 September 2023

Do I have to enrol and vote for federal elections?

It is compulsory for you to enrol and vote in federal elections if you are:

  • 18 years of age or over, and
  • An Australian citizen (or a British subject who was on the Commonwealth electoral roll on 25 January 1984).

If you are unable to sign your name due to a physical disability you may get someone else to complete your enrolment form and sign it on your behalf.

To complete this form you will need a registered medical practitioner to complete and sign the medical certificate on this form.

To enrol to vote select the enrolment form for your state or territory from the list below.

How can I vote in federal elections?

You can choose to vote by post or in person at a polling place.

To vote by post, you can register as a general postal voter on this form. This means at the time of an election your ballot papers will be automatically sent to your postal address.

Many polling places have appropriate facilities to assist people with a physical disability and staff in the polling place can help you with voting.

More information on assistance with voting is available.

Enrolment forms for persons unable to sign their name

Returning your completed form