Named after the Murray River which was named by Charles Sturt in 1830 after Sir George Murray, Colonial Secretary.
Area and Location Description:
The Division of Murray is located in northern Victoria. It covers an area of approximately 19 500 sq km with boundaries extending from Boort in the north-west corner of the Loddon Shire bordering the Division of Mallee, south to Wedderburn and Inglewood bordering the divisions of Wannon and Bendigo and extending east taking in the local government areas of Campaspe, City of Greater Shepparton and Strathbogie, bordering the divisions of Indi and McEwen. It extends north-east to Yarrawonga joining the State border. The main towns include Avenel, Boort, Bridgewater on Loddon, Cobram, Echuca, Euroa, Kyabram, Mooroopna, Murchison, Nagambie, Nathalia, Numurkah, Rochester, Rushworth, Shepparton, Tatura, Violet Town, Wedderburn and Yarrawonga.
Products/Industries of the Area:
Sheep, wheat, dairy, viticulture and fruit processing industries.
Stone, S (LP) 1996–
Lloyd, B (CP/NCP/NP) 1971–1996
McEwen, J (CP) 1949–1971
The AEC acknowledges the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters, culture and community. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.