2016 federal election: profile of the electoral division of Melbourne
Updated: 8 July 2016
- Current, boundary gazetted 24 December 2010.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Melbourne (2010) [PDF 1.3MB]
Map of the Division of Melbourne (2010) [PDF 17.4MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after the city of Melbourne which was named in 1837 by Governor Bourke after Lord Melbourne, who was then Prime Minister of Britain.
- Area and Location Description:
- The Division of Melbourne is located in the inner city suburbs of Melbourne. It covers an area of approximately 46 sq km from the Yarra River in the east to the Maribyrnong River in the west and from Ascot Vale/Princes Hill in the north to the Yarra River in the south. The division includes the central business district of the City of Melbourne and the suburbs of Abbotsford, Ascot Vale, Carlton, Carlton North, Collingwood, East Melbourne, Fitzroy, Flemington, Kensington, North Melbourne, Parkville, Richmond and West Melbourne. Fitzroy North is shared with the Division of Wills and Docklands is shared with the Division of Melbourne Ports.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Heavy and light engineering, extensive manufacturing, commercial and retail activities, dockyards, clothing and footwear industries, warehousing and distributing of white goods, building and other general goods.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Inner Metropolitan
- Bandt, A (GRN) 2010–
Tanner, L (ALP) 1993–2010
Hand, G L (ALP) 1983–1993
Innes, U E (ALP) 1972–1983
Calwell, A A (ALP) 1940–1972
Malony, W R N (ALP/FLP) 1904–1940
McEacharn, M D (PROT) 1901–1904
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
2013 federal election – House of Representatives results for Melbourne
2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Melbourne
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Melbourne
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Melbourne
2013 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.
Back to top