2016 federal election: profile of the electoral division of Batman (Vic)
Updated: 8 July 2016
- Current, boundary gazetted 24 December 2010.
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Batman (2010) [PDF 1.5MB]
Map of the Division of Batman (2010) [PDF 18.5MB]
Download GIS data
- Name Derivation:
- Named after John Batman 1801–39, the early settler and explorer, known as the 'Founder of Melbourne'.
- Area and Location Description:
- The Division of Batman is located in Melbourne's northern suburbs. It covers an area of approximately 66 sq km from Thomastown/Bundoora in the north to Clifton Hill in the south, with Merri Creek providing the vast majority of the western boundary and Darebin Creek, parts of Macleod and Plenty Road Bundoora providing the eastern boundary. The suburbs of Alphington, Bundoora (part), Clifton Hill, Coburg North (part), Fairfield, Kingsbury, Macleod (part), Northcote, Preston, Reservoir, Thomastown (part) and Thornbury are in this division.
- Products/Industries of the Area:
- Light engineering, textiles, clothing and footwear and general retail.
- First Proclaimed/Election:
- Demographic Rating:
- Inner Metropolitan
- Feeney, D (ALP) 2013–
Ferguson, M (ALP) 1996–2013
Howe, B L (ALP) 1977–1996
Garrick, H J (ALP) 1969–1977
Benson, S J (ALP/IND) 1962–1969
Bird, A C (ALP) 1949–1962
Brennan, F (FLP/ALP) 1934–1949
Dennis, S (UAP) 1931–1934
Brennan, F (ALP) 1911–1931
Beard, H E (ALP) 1910–1910
Coon, J (PROT) 1906–1910
- Current Member Details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
2013 federal election – House of Representatives results for Batman
2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Batman
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Batman
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Batman
2013 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.
Back to top