2013 federal election: Profile of the electoral division of Farrer (NSW)
Updated: 4 September 2013
- New South Wales
- Current, boundary gazetted 22 December 2009
- AEC Divisional Office:
- Divisional Office contact details
- Maps & GIS data:
- A4 map of the Division of Farrer (2009) [PDF 554KB]
Map of the Division of Farrer (2009) [PDF 8.4MB]
Download GIS data
- Name derivation:
- Named after William Farrer (1845–1906), a noted wheat breeder and experimentalist.
- Area and Location Description:
- Farrer covers an area of approximately 247 097 sq km in southern and western New South Wales stretching along the Murray River from the Shire of Greater Hume in the east to the South Australian border in the west and the Queensland border in the north including Unincorporated NSW to the north and east of Broken Hill. Albury and Broken Hill City Council areas are located in Farrer, as are the shires of Balranald, Berrigan, Conargo, Corowa, Deniliquin, Greater Hume, Hay, Jerilderie, Lockhart, Murray, Wakool, Wentworth, Urana and Central Darling.
- Products/industries of the area:
- Large-scale irrigation areas, around Deniliquin and Wentworth, produce dairy products, fat sheep and cattle, orchard and vine crops, apples and rice. Other major agricultural products include wool, timber, wheat and cereals. Many industries are based on the processing of agricultural products, such as the Australian Newsprint Mills at Albury and the largest rice mill in the southern hemisphere at Deniliquin. Other industries include mining, tourism and agricultural service industries.
- First proclaimed/election:
- Demographic rating:
- Ley, S (LP) 2001–
Fischer, T (NP) 1984–2001
Fife, W C (LP) 1975–1984
Fairbairn, D E (LP) 1949–1975
- Current member details:
- Please refer to the Parliament of Australia website
- Further information:
- 2010 federal election – House of Representatives results for Farrer
2007 federal election – House of Representatives results for Farrer
2004 federal election – House of Representatives results for Farrer
2010 divisional profile
For supporting information, see Party codes, demographic ratings and seat status.