2004 Profile of the division of Leichhardt
Updated: 29 September 2011
Named after Friedrich Leichhardt 1813–48, explorer and scientist.
Area and Location Description:
Leichhardt covers an area of approximately 150 676 sq km from the Torres Strait Islands in the north to Edmonton in the south. The main towns include Bamaga, Cairns, Cooktown, Kuranda, Mossman, Port Douglas, Thursday Island and Weipa.
Map of Division:
Products/Industries of the Area:
Sugar, tropical fruit, aquaculture, cattle, fishing, bauxite mining, shipbuilding and tourism.
- ENTSCH, W (LP) 1996–
- DODD, P G (ALP) 1993–1996
- GAYLER, J (ALP) 1983–1993
- THOMSON, D S (NCP/NP) 1975–1983
- FULTON, W J (ALP) 1958–1975
- BRUCE, H A (ALP) 1951–1958
- GILMORE, T V (CP) 1949–1951
Current Member Details:
See the Parliament of Australia website
AEC Divisional Office Address:
See Divisional Office Contact Details
2004 Federal Election Results:
- Enrolment: 90 542
- Informal Vote: 6.03%
- Turnout: 91.16%
- Seat Status: Fairly Safe Liberal
- Two Party Preferred: LP: 60% | ALP: 40%
For supporting information, see Party Codes, Demographic Ratings and Seat Status.