Enrol to vote

Updated: 25 August 2017

Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey

It is now too late to enrol for the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey being conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

If you need to update your postal address for the survey please call the ABS information line on 1800 572 113 from 8am to 8pm (AEST) seven days a week.

Please note: If you update your postal address with the ABS this will not change your enrolment details with the AEC. If you have moved, you can update your details on the change address page.

For more information visit the ABS website.

To enrol for the first time or get back on the roll, you can enrol online.

You will need to provide evidence of your identity. You can use your driver's licence, Australian passport number or have someone who is enrolled confirm your identity. Please note that the AEC cannot accept any other forms of identification, such as 18+ or Proof of Age cards.

It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums.

Eligibility for enrolment

You are eligible to enrol if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, or eligible British subject,
  • aged 18 years and over, and
  • have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17 you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll be able to vote.

If you are overseas or going overseas don't use this form to enrol. Please see information on going overseas.

* When you finish enrolling online, don't forget to close your browser to protect your privacy.

Already enrolled online? Check the status using the receipt number provided.

When updating your enrolment details you might also need to update your personal details with your state and territory road traffic authority.