Australian Electoral Commission

How to vote while overseas

Updated: 17 March 2016

Contact the AEC from overseas

+61 2 6160 2600

If you wish to vote in a federal election while overseas you must be enrolled to vote.

Arrangements for state and local government elections are different so you will need to contact your state/territory electoral office for more details.

How can I find out when the next federal election is announced?

If you subscribe to the AEC mailing list you will receive an email to let you know when federal elections or referendums are announced. This page is also updated on announcement of an election.

How do I vote in person?

If you are currently enrolled, you can vote in person at an overseas voting centre.

Overseas voting centres are established at Australian Embassies, Consulates and High Commissions in the lead up to each federal election or referendum.

The AEC also sets up early voting centres at some Australian airports before election day so if you are currently enrolled you might be able to vote before you leave the country.

How do I vote by post?

If you are currently enrolled, you can apply online for a postal vote immediately after an election is announced.

I am unable to vote, what should I do?

If you are unable to vote you should complete and submit an Overseas Notification form [PDF 55KB].

If you do not inform the AEC, we will write to you asking you to explain why you did not vote. If you explain you were overseas on election day, you will not be fined.

Can I vote online?

No, you cannot vote online.

See also